Salmon Farming Campaign
What You Can Do
You have the power to make environmentally harmful industries like open net salmon farming change for the better. Your participation can make a difference, get involved today!
Things You Can Do to Help:
- Dine and shop at businesses that are protecting wild salmon by not selling net-cage farmed salmon. Find a Wild Salmon Supporter in your neighborhood!
- Write a letter to the editor of your favourite publication and government leaders.
- Make some noise! Get involved in your community. .
- Contact your Member of Parliament and ask for a transition from net pens to closed containment
Open net-cage salmon farming is not sustainable.
We want to see a farmed salmon industry that:
- Uses technology that eliminates the risks of disease and parasite transfer to wild fish as well as escapes of farmed fish into the wild;
- Guarantees untreated waste is not released into the ocean;
- Labels fish as “farmed” so consumers can make informed choices;
- Develops feed for farmed salmon that does not deplete fish stocks around the world;
- Ensures wildlife is not harmed as a result of salmon farming;
- Prohibits the use of genetically modified fish;
- Eliminates the use of chemicals, antibiotics and pesticides in salmon farming;
- Ensures contaminants in farmed salmon don’t exceed levels deemed safe by international standards; and
- Stops locating salmon farms in areas opposed by First Nations or other local communities.