We are involved in the creation of several marine protected areas on the B.C. coast and represent the concerns of small-scale, independent commercial fishermen.
We help integrate the local knowledge of coastal ecology and marine issues held by B.C. fishermen into the creation of marine protected areas. Their knowledge is extensive, detailed, and vital within the overarching framework of integrated ecosystems-based management to ensure management and planning decisions best support our coastal communities while sustaining healthy marine environments.
We have or are collaborating on the:
- Gwaii Haanas National Marine Conservation Area Reserve
- SGaan Kinghlas-Bowie Seamount Marine Protected Area
- Northern Shelf Bioregion MPA Network
- Hecate Strait Glass Sponge Reefs MPA
- Offshore Pacific Area of Interest
- Southern Strait of Georgia MNCA
Jim McIsaac leads our participation in collaborative governance and planning processes. Please contact him for more information.