The Buck Suzuki Legacy Bursary is a $1000 bursary granted annually in memory of our namesake, Tatsuro "Buck" Suzuki, a fish harvester and advocate for fish habitat protection. It is open to students in fisheries or marine-related studies in the trades and at the undergraduate and graduate levels annually.
- You must be enrolled in a marine-related undergraduate, graduate, or trade program in a Canadian educational institution. We accept applications from an array of areas such as shipwrights, vessel masters, marine biology and/or ecology, fisheries science, social justice, community health sciences, food systems, or natural resource management.
- Preference will be given to applicants with a family connection to the marine sector.
Please provide a letter (1500 words) or video (5 minutes) that answers the following questions:
- What is the greatest challenge facing our oceans and fisheries today?
- How might your studies build a brighter collective future?
- Describe your relationship to the marine environment.
Include any relevant supporting documents, and outline any ties to marine industries through employment or family engagement (if applicable).
Please submit all bursary application materials to kiera (at) buck suzuki (dot) org by June 15th, 2020.